We include products in articles we think are useful for our readers. If you buy products or services through links on our website, we may earn a small commission.
What is the Egg Fast Keto Diet?
If you’re looking for a quick and effective way to jumpstart the benefits of a low-carb high-fat ketogenic lifestyle, the egg fast might be for you.
This diet has been gaining popularity in recent years as a way to shed pounds quickly, improve cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and gain more stable energy and mental clarity.
In this post, we explore what the egg fast is, how it works, and what you can expect if you decide to give it a try.
We will also provide tips on how to make the egg fast more enjoyable and sustainable so that you can get the benefits without feeling deprived or bored. Let’s crack open the topic of the egg fast!
Table of Contents
What is the Egg Fast, and Where Did it Come From?
The concept of a keto egg fast is simple – you eat only eggs and butter supplemented with fatty cheese.
These foods provide your body with a perfect ratio of healthy fats and complete proteins to support the metabolic shift to ketosis.
Remember that keto is about eliminating carbs and getting at least 70-80% of your calories from fat.
Eggs provide around 2 calories of fat for every 1 calorie from protein. While butter is nearly 100% fat, fatty cheese like a creamy blue cheese can be 6 to 1.
Eating only eggs, butter, and cheese eliminates the need to consider macronutrient ratios and cuts out nearly all carbs. In short, it’s turnkey keto, and it’s greatest benefit is its simplicity.
This way of eating was popularized by podcaster Jimmy Moore, host of the podcast Living La Vida Low Carb in 2010. Moore came up with it after he learned that eggs have a near-perfect amino acid profile along with important nutrients like B vitamins, vitamin D, and Choline.
Moore experimented with the diet by eating at least six eggs daily, along with raw cheese and grass-fed better. After 30 days, Moore lost 27 pounds and was able to kick his addiction to diet soda.
Now, most people who do egg fasts only practice it for 3-5 days. Once your body becomes keto-adapted, you can add in other low-carb nutrient-dense foods like steak, pork, and seafood if going keto-carnivore. And some low-carb veggies if you’re aiming for a standard keto diet.
Egg Fast Rules
There’s been an ongoing debate about standard egg fast rules, or if there’s even such a thing.
For instance, Moore’s original egg fast allowed for up to three sugar-free soft drinks. But it was also the egg fast that helped him get over his diet soda addiction.
Another original rule was that you had to eat an egg-based meal every 3 to five hours. But some people do better with only two large egg-centered meals in order to get the benefits of intermittent fasting.
With these points in mind, we’ve distilled a few key rules, and trust that you’ll make your own variations if needed.
- Consume at least 6 whole eggs per day
- Consume 1 tablespoon of butter per egg consumed
- Consume up to 1 tablespoon of full-fat cheese per egg consumed
- Consume the highest quallity eggs, butter, and cheese available
- Stop eating at least 3 hours before bed–this will help stimulate autophagy, a process of cellular repair and renewal that only takes place when you enter a fasted state overnight.
What are the Highest Quality Eggs, Butter, Cheese?
When you’re only eating three foods, the quality of these foods takes on great importance.
The highest quality eggs will come from pastured hens.
- 2/3 more vitamin A
- 200% more omega-3 fatty acids
- 300% more vitamin E
- 700% more beta carotene
|Values per 100 grams||Vitamin E||Vitamin A||Beta Carotene||Omega-3s||Cholesterol|
|Eggs from Caged Birds||.97mg||487IU||10mcg||.22g||423mg|
If you can’t find pasture-raised eggs, opt for organic–this is one food where the organic label actually means something in terms of nutritional value. But if you’re on a budget, don’t be deterred. Conventional eggs are still a nutritional powerhouse and will do you just fine.
The most nutritious butter will be from grass-fed cattle.
The best cheese on the egg fast will be full-fat and creamy cheeses from grass-fed milk.
Raw creamy cheeses may provide the greatest nutrient benefits. However, studies have found that the nutritional value of cheeses is significantly more impacted by the feed source of the cows (grass vs grain) than whether the milk has been pasteurized or not.
The chart below offers examples of fatty vs. lean cheeses.
|Nutrients Per 100 grams (3.5 oz)||Creamy Blue Cheese||Cream Cheese||Triple Cream Brie (Saint Andre)||Cheddar||Swiss Cheese||Parmesan|
|Fat: Protein Ratio by grams||3.25:1||5:1||4:1||1.4:1||1.1:1||1:1|
How Does The Egg Fast Work and What are the Benefits?
Though there haven’t been any studies looking directly at the benefits of the egg fast and how it works, there have been numerous studies on high-fat low-carb diet, and on eggs in general.
From these studies, we can infer a lot about why and how the egg fast works. Let’s explore.
It’s a Ketogenic Diet!
The keto diet has been practiced by traditional peoples for millennia, and has been studied by doctors since at least the early 1900s when it was found effective in treating drug-resistant epilepsy.
From hundreds of studies, we know that keto can provide powerful benefits, including;
Studied benefits of the keto diet include
- Improved cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Restored insulin sensitivity
- Combats type 2 diabetes
- Can reverse metabolic syndrome
- Can reverse symptoms of PCOS
- May be used to help treat various cancers
- Combats neurodegenerative disorders like epilepsy, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s disease
- Powerfully supports mental health, even helping severe psychiatric patients to get of meds and fully recover
- Promotes weight loss
- Reduces cravings for processed and high-carb foods
- Regulates inflammation and supports healthy immune response
- Keto foods, especially from animal sources, provide important fat-soluble vitamins (K, D, E) often lacking on the Standard American Diet
- Protects the glycocalyx, a delicate membrane on your cells that is critical to overall health, and damaged by high-carb diets
Promotes Weight Loss
Eggs are a nutrient-dense food that is low in calories and high in protein. The high protein content helps to reduce hunger and boost metabolism, making it easier to lose weight.
A 12-week study on women following a ketogenic diet found an average 21.2% loss of visceral fat. The weight loss in the keto group was far superior to the 4.6% average loss in a comparative group of women on a high-fiber, low-fat diet.
Most people who practice the egg fast for the normal 3-5 days report losing 5–10 pounds.
Improves Insulin Sensitivity
The egg fast is a low-carb, high-fat diet, which has been shown to help improve insulin sensitivity. This means that your body can better regulate blood sugar levels, which can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes and hormonal disorders like PCOS.
Increases HDL (good) Cholesterol, Improves Heart Health
Eggs also contain healthy monounsaturated fatty acids that have been shown to increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels, thereby improving heart health.
- 14% lower risk of major cardiac events
- 11% lower risk of CVD
- 12% lower risk of ischemic heart disease
- 18% lower risk of CVD death
Provides Essential Nutrients
By consuming mainly eggs during the egg fast, you can ensure that you are getting all of these important nutrients.
|B5 (Pantothenic Acid)||84%|
|Vitamin E||18-150% depending on egg source|
The egg fast is a low-carb, high-fat diet, which can help to provide sustained energy throughout the day.
By reducing carbs and increasing your intake of healthy fats, you can avoid the energy crashes that can come with consuming high-carb meals.
A 2019 meta-analysis of 31 studies with over 1700 participants found that consuming carbs is associated with higher levels of fatigue and less alertness than lower-carb foods, while revealing zero positive effects of high-carb foods.
Risks to Consider
If you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, it may be important to speak with a keto-informed healthcare provider. Medications will likely need to be adjusted as your metabolic health improves.
An egg fast is likely unsuitable for cholesterol hyper-responders, people with eating disorders, people without a gallbladder. Again, consult your doctor first.
Egg Fast 7-Day Sample Menu
Here’s a sample menu to give you a better idea of what an egg fast will look like in practice. We’ve broken it down into two large meals since eggs are fatty foods are so satiating.
- 4 Egg omelet with lots of creamy blue cheese, cooked in 2-3 tablespoons of butter.
- 2-3 Carnivore Deviled eggs with 3 ozs cheese of your choice, and 2-3 egg scramble with 2-3 tablespoons of butter.
- Cream cheese griddle pancake with 3-4 eggs and 3-4 tablespoons of non-processed cream cheese.
- Egg salad with 3 eggs and 4 tablespoons of carnivore mayo, salt, and pepper.
- Crustless quiche with 5 eggs topped with 1-3 oz of cheese of your choice (will be leftovers)
- 3-4 eggs fried in 2-4 tablespoons of butter topped with cheese of your choice
- 2–4 deviled eggs and leftover crustless quiche
- Cheese 4 egg omelet cooked in 2-4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 egg waffles made in a waffle maker loaded with butter
- Leftover waffles and 2 hard-boiled eggs, all smothered in carnivore diet mayo.
- 3-5 egg scramble with ½ cup of blue cheese and 2-4 tablespoons of butter
- 3 egg crustless cheesy quiche a 2-4 deviled eggs
The Egg Fast: The Bottom Line
The egg fast can be an effective diet plan that has been gaining popularity for good reason.
This unique approach to reclaiming your metabolic health is centered around the humble egg–an incredibly nutritious and versatile food that can be used in various ways to create delicious and satisfying meals.
By following the egg fast, you can experience rapid weight loss, improved energy levels, and reduced inflammation.
Additionally, the high protein content of the egg fast can help you to feel fuller for longer, making it easier to stick to your dietary goals.
So if you’re looking for a way to jumpstart your high-fat low-carb lifestyle the egg fast is definitely worth considering.